Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Body says no. Head agrees, temporarily.

This morning, my body said no, and my head didn't talk back.

You might be able to guess that talking back normally comes quite naturally to me.

My husband and I both work, and in similarly demanding jobs. Just as we share earning a living for the family, we share other aspects of our family life and responsibilities. For example, I have one of those wonderful husbands who doesn't 'help me' with raising the children, or 'help me' with the housework; raising the children and doing the housework is our responsibility, and so we share it.

And last night, my husband shared bubs with me, which is to say, it was my night to wake up with her and feed her, and his night to sleep.  One of the greatest gifts that my husband has given me for the 12wbt is that on my nights with bubs, he allows me to hand her to him (because, invariably, she's taken advantage of our vulnerable sleepy state in the early hours and has used her bubsy gorgeousness to persuade us to carry her into our bed) so that I can work out.

This morning, after I handed bubs to my husband, I went downstairs and fell asleep on the couch.  I know this because at 7.05 in the morning a great big angry man (read: formerly loving husband) was yelling, "Didn't you work out!  But you gave me bubs!  Never again!".  My eldest daughter gently stroked my cheek.

We have so much to learn from our children.

My husband had calmed down by the time I had my shower, and all was forgiven, particularly when I casually walked into the kitchen wearing quite a snappy little outfit that begins with a pair of shiny heels, silky stockings and a pencil skirt.  It ends with a knowing smile: despite a few slip ups, I am doing well.

I tried on this pencil skirt 10 days ago.  My hips would not cooperate at all with my efforts to wear it.  Same hips are now much better behaved, and are clearly slowly being whipped into shape.

The great thing about training in the morning is that if you do something very bad and unnatural like attempt to sleep for more than 6 hours overnight, you can sacrifice something else in your day so that you can reschedule your workout later on. And during this deferred workout, you can punish yourself for being a naughty afternoon exerciser (after all, you've missed out on burning those morning fat cells) by putting some of those 300 pushups in the bank at the end of your training session.

Call me a masochist, but I am really looking forward to a spot of self-flagellation this afternoon.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you don't have to whip yourself with too many birch branches D. It was only a little extra bit of sleep, afterall, not a family block of chocolate. Sounds like you are rocking the pencil skirt! And the push-ups. Go you! PS. My husband doesn't 'babysit' our children either. He just looks after them without expecting $10 an hour and to be driven home at the end. Here's to good men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kate, you shouldn't beat yourself up too much about needing extra sleep. I laughed at your husbands reaction though, I don't know why, I think it was the "Never again!"

    Also what a cheeky way to diffuse a grumpy husband haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Energyandemily: do you possibly have a partner who says the same thing?! And yes, I think that you are right; this is a bit of a marathon (for life, really), this losing weight and being healthy thing, and so if I need sleep every so often, I guess I should give my body what it needs.

    And Kate, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with a husband who is as much a parent as I am. I did give myself a bit of a superworkout though - felt really good! Still weighed the same this morning - muscle building, I tell myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think he has, but it amuses me because it sounds so dramatic. I just picture this guy with a look like "What!? I've been cheated!!" while holding a baby and trying to be all angry when he's just woken up.

    Exactly, sometimes our bodies know better than we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You obviously needed the sleep, and you listened to your body, not that it sounds like you had any option, I have images of you just flaking out on the couch. But hello! Love the sound of that skirt.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete